Untitled Document


Exhibitions





ORIGINS

The George Adams Gallery traces its origins to the Allan Frumkin Gallery, Chicago, founded in 1952. In 1959 Allan Frumkin opened a gallery in New York that became its principal location, and George Adamsí association began there in 1980. Mr. Adams and Mr. Frumkin formed a partnership in 1988 and the galleryís name was changed to Frumkin/Adams. Following Mr. Frumkinís retirement in 1995, the gallery became the George Adams Gallery and in 2005, after 46 years on 57th Street, relocated to West 26th Street in Chelsea.

Since 1959 the gallery has exhibited a diverse range of artists including Robert Barnes, William Beckman, Joseph Cornell, Paul Georges, Leon Golub, Paul Granlund, Theodore Halkin, Robert Hudson, June Leaf, Alfred Leslie, Maryan, James McGarrell, Willard Midgette, Philip Pearlstein, Peter Saul, James Surls, James Valerio, H.C. Westermann, and William T. Wiley. The gallery continues to be active with many of these artists on the secondary market. The gallery also specialized in 20th Century European master drawings, and regularly held exhibitions of prints and works on paper by Max Beckman, Lovis Corinth, James Ensor, Alberto Giacometti, and Henri Matisse, among others.

The gallery also played an important role in introducing and supporting the work of contemporary Latin American artists beginning with Roberto Matta in the 1950s. The gallery mounted the first US solo exhibitions for Luis Cruz Azaceta (1979), Jose Bedia (1991), Rosana Palazyan (1998), and Yoan Capote (2004) as well exhibitions of the work of Carlos Alfonzo, Luis Benedit, Juan Francisco Elso, and Arnaldo Roche-Rabell.

THE GEORGE ADAMS GALLERY

Today the George Adams Gallery regularly exhibits the work of James Barsness, Enrique Chagoya, Lesley Dill, Diane Edison, Amer Kobaslija, Lino Lago, Andrew Lenaghan, Peter Saul, Kako Ueda, Alain VaŽs, and Sandy Winters. In addition, the gallery represents the estates of Robert Arneson (1930-1992), Elmer Bischoff (1916-1991), Joan Brown (1938-1990), Roy DeForest (1930-2007), and Joyce Treiman (1922-1991).

Since 1995, the George Adams Gallery has closely collaborated on survey exhibitions of works by gallery artists with such museums as the Museum of Art, UC Berkeley, the Columbus (GA) Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, the Museum of Contemporary Art, Monterrey, Mexico, the De Cordova Museum and Sculpture Park, the Des Moines Art Center, the Hunter Museum, the Neuberger Museum, SUNY, the Palmer Museum of Art, Penn State, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and the San Jose Museum of Art.

In the past few years works by gallery artists have been acquired by the Arkansas Art Center, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Cantor Art Center, Stanford University, the Hammer, UCLA, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, NY, the National Museum of American Art, the New Orleans Museum of Art, the Pennsylvania Academy for the Fine Arts, the San Jose Museum of Art, and the Whitney Museum of American Art, among others.

GEORGE ADAMS

Born in 1956, Mr. Adams attended the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture (1973), majored in Fine Arts at Carnegie-Mellon University (1974-1976), graduated from Sarah Lawrence College with a major in Art History (1979), and studied in the Department of Art History and Archeology at Columbia University (1982-1983). He has co-curated exhibitions at the Arkansas Art Center, Little Rock, the Bruce Museum, Greenwich, CT, the Columbus, GA, Museum, the Palmer Museum, Penn State, and the Hunter Museum, Chattanooga. He was a member of the Board of Visitors at the Lamar Dodd School of Art of University of Georgia and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and the Board of Directors of the Miami Art Project and the Cuban Artists Fund. He currently serves on the Board of the Art Dealers Association of America, and on Advisory Council at the Loeb Art Center, Vassar College and the International Center for Collage.